Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rachel's T-shirt Quilt

Another Finish for the GWHS girls!


60" x 70"
Photo of the back.
Closeup of the back

Here's a closeup of the photo T-shirt they had made for this quilt. This is the 2nd time I've worked with this and I really like it! Typically I cannot sew through the logos on T-shirts. The screenprinting or whatever is just too thick. My needle gets jammed up and my thread will break every 2 or 3 stitches. So I quilt throughout the shirts and leave the logo areas blank.
She had her photos screenprinted on T-shirts at walmart. . and from what she has told me it is not too expensive. I can quilt through these photo shirts perfectly! The screenprinting has no different texture. . it just feels like the white areas of the shirt. I'm really befuddled as to how it's done actually!!! Another plus about these shirts is that they are completely colorfast/washproof. When I make my photo memory quilts I ask the recipients to NOT wash them in the washer. . Because even though I use the BEST printer, ink, and treated photo fabric. . . they ink is NOT dye. . and they DO fade eventually.
As usual, I free-motion embroidered the name with a wide, zig-zag stitch and echo quilted around it. . . I love this . . . such amazing textures! I tried a few new stitches for this quilt. . I think the one in the orange area is called "checkerboard" from Leah Day's designs.
Pebbles in the blue areas. . . some little swirlies in the orange areas. . . different sized stippling every where else.
I think this turned out really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment